Life Insurance

Before you purchase life insurance, check whether your employer provides it and / or whether your current policy will still cover you in Malta. If not, there are plenty of options on the market, but you should talk to the providers about what happens with your coverage if you leave the island – be clear about whether you can take the policy with you. If you are considering purchasing property in Malta, you will be required to present your life insurance policy at the stage of contract. Read more about purchasing property in the Property section.

Health Insurance

Malta has a National Health Service paid for by workers’ national insurance contributions. It covers all healthcare including accident and emergency, hospital stays and visits to government clinics for non-emergency care. EU and EEA nationals are entitled to the same healthcare as local residents but they will need documentation from their country (such as a European Health Insurance Card, valid for temporary stays and unplanned healthcare or an SI Certificate of Entitlement to Healthcare from their country of origin) or will need to be paying national insurance in Malta.

If you are not an EU or EEA national, you may have the right to use the National Health Service if you are paying national insurance – check with the Department of Health. If not, you will need to purchase private health insurance or get it through your employer. You can then access care at either the public or the private hospitals and clinics. Without insurance, health care costs can rapidly spiral and you’ll be asked to pay before you leave the premises.

Most people pay for prescription medicines in Malta. If you take a medicine regularly, check that it will be available before you move or research an alternative.

The Mater Dei Hospital is a relatively new hospital (completed in 2007) and located in Msida. It offers a high standard of care and has a new oncology unit, built in 2014. The largest private hospital is St. James in Sliema.

Car Insurance

You can get a quote online with most of the major car insurance agencies but when you first arrive, it might be helpful to go into an office and speak to a real person while you navigate the system. Car insurance is essential. Not only is it a legal requirement but there’s a fair chance that you’ll need it, given the notorious driving conditions that Malta is famous for.

Maltese car insurance follows the UK system, with “comprehensive” or “3rd party cover” options. “Comprehensive” means that if you hit anything and you are to blame, the insurance will pay out to cover damage to the other vehicle or building AND they’ll cover the damage to your car. Naturally, this option is more expensive. If you have a nice, new vehicle it makes sense; if you’ve bought an old banger, it’s probably not worth it, particularly because there will be ‘deductibles’ (i.e. in most cases, you’ll have to pay a proportion of the damage yourself anyway).

“3rd party” means that if an accident is your fault, your insurer will only pay for damage to the other party’s vehicle or property. You can also add on a ‘fire and theft’ option, which again, only makes sense if you have a more expensive car. If you remain with the same agency for a few years with no accidents, you’ll get a ‘no claims bonus’. Sometimes, companies will transfer this from your previous insurer in your home country. It’s certainly worth asking as ‘no claims’ makes a big difference to the cost of insurance.

Remember too that car insurance covers specific named drivers (you and whoever else you choose to put on the policy). You can however choose a policy which allows you and anyone else over a specific age to drive the car with your permission but this will be more expensive.

Read more about Driving in Malta.

Useful Information

Healthcare in Malta
  • Access to the public hospital and use of local clinics, is free of charge for local residents. EU and EEA nationals are entitled to free healthcare as long as they have a European Health Insurance Card
Malta’s public hospital
Application for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
Private Health Insurance providers
  • A simple search would provide you with a list of local insurance providers in Malta. Here’s a start...
Life Insurance providers
Car Insurance providers
  • Car Insurance is available in Comprehensive, 3rd party, or 3rd party fire and theft, each providing different levels of coverage
  • Here's a quick search for car insurance providers in Malta


Do we need private medical insurance?

EU citizens are entitled to free public healthcare. Third Country Nationals who are working and paying national insurance may also be entitled to public health care. Find out more here.

What is the legal driving age?

18 years old. Most car hire companies require drivers to be over 23 or even 25.

What should I do in the event of an accident?

If you hit someone from behind or vice versa, you don’t need to call the police – just call a local warden on +356 2132 0202, take photos, and fill in a ‘Front to Rear’ form with the other driver. Each driver should get a copy to give to their insurance company (make sure you keep a copy before you submit it). The warden’s report will also go to the insurance companies. If the accident is not clear cut, call the police on +356 21224001. For serious accidents and injuries, call 112 immediately. Ensure you have the other driver’s name and vehicle registration number.

Can I use my foreign drivers’ licence in Malta?

If your licence is from outside the European Union, you can drive for 12 months from the date of your last entry into Malta. After that, you will need to get a Maltese licence.

If your licence is from the EU, Switzerland or Australia, you can exchange it for a Maltese licence after 185 days. You can drive with an EU licence as long as it remains valid. Read here for more information.

Can I import my car?

Yes, but you will have to pay a registration tax. Find out how much here.

What do I need to buy a car?

Once you find a car that you want to buy, you need to transfer ownership. This can now be done online. The seller, buyer and a witness are required to sign the back of the vehicle registration certificate and present it to an authorised insurance agency or broker. They will issue a new insurance policy. You will need to show your ID card. Any fees, penalties, CVA fees and contraventions that must be paid will show up at this point. The insurance agency or broker can then issue the new registration certificate in the name of the buyer and can also renew your vehicle road licence. You may need a new Vehicle Roadworthy Test (VRT) to do that - check online here.

This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.