Malta is booming and everyone wants to join the party! Since the country joined the EU, citizenship applications have increased. If you’re also thinking of making the ultimate commitment to the islands, you’ll be happy to know that Malta has no restrictions on holding dual nationality and there are several different ways to become a citizen.

  • If you have Maltese ancestry in your family, you may be eligible. You will need to show documentary evidence (for example a birth, death or marriage certificate) showing direct descent from an ancestor born in Malta. The process can be initiated at any Maltese embassy or the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs in Malta. Residence in Malta is not required.

  • Naturalisation is also possible for longer-term residents – if you’ve lived in the country for longer than five years, you can apply. Before 2000, anyone born in the country was automatically Maltese but that has now changed – children must have a Maltese parent to gain citizenship at birth.

  • Maltese citizenship can also be claimed by marriage after 5 years (you must be living together but do not have to be present in Malta).

  • In 2013, a new route to citizenship opened up, at least to the wealthy and their immediate families – Citizenship By Investment. This is known as the Malta Individual Investor Programme (MIIP). For a cost of €650,000 (€25,000 for spouses and dependents), applicants can become Maltese citizens provided they meet certain criteria. They also need to invest €150,000 in government authorised stocks or bonds for five years and purchase a property costing more than €350,000 or rent a property for more than €16,000 a year for five years. There is also a requirement to spend at least one year in Malta prior to naturalization. The scheme has proved popular as citizenship in Malta offers automatic rights in the rest of the European Union. There is currently a cap of 1,800 participants; more than 800 applicants have already been received. Find out more about eligibility and requirements here.

If none of those options apply to you, and you are not an EU, EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss national, you will need to apply for a visa – find out more about Visas and Work Permits.

Useful Information

Malta Individual Investor Programme
Application for citizenship


I’ve got a job but my spouse hasn’t – will they be able to work?

If they are from the EU/EEA/Switzerland, they’ll be able to apply for jobs in Malta. For Third Country Nationals, unless the spouse is covered by the work permit of their husband / wife, they will have to get their own work permit which could take time and is not guaranteed.

This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.